In this tutorial i will show you how to install vmware tools in centos 7. Installing vmware tools in your centos 7 guest OS will increase performance and compatibilty , there are some benefit installing vmware tools in your centos 7:
- Synchronization of the guest OS clock with the virtualization platform
- Enables the virtual infrastructure to perform graceful power operations (shut down) and file system quiescing of the virtual machine
- Provides a heartbeat from guest to the virtualization infrastructure to support vSphere High Availability (HA)
- Publishes information about the guest OS to the virtualization platform, including resource utilization and networking information
- Provides a secure and authenticated mechanism to perform various operations within the guest OS from the virtualization infrastructure
- Accepts additional plug-ins that can extend or customize OVT functionality
This article assumes you have at least basic knowledge of linux, know how to use the shell, root user or non-root user account with sudo privileges set up on your server.
Step 1 – install using yum
sudo yum install open-vm-tools
Step 2 – start vmtoolsd service and enable at boottime
systemctl start vmtoolsd.service systemctl enable vmtoolsd.service
Congratulations, you have successfully install vmware tools on centos 7.